Family Engagement Toolkit: Continuous Improvement through an Equity Lens
This Family Engagement Toolkit by the California Department of Education strives to help answer the following big questions for districts and schools:
- How can we increase the engagement of underrepresented families?
- How can we help teachers and administrators become more skilled and comfortable working with all families?
- What kind of family engagement activities are likely to lead to the biggest learning advances for students?
- How can we know if our family engagement efforts are having the desired effect?
Unique aspects of this toolkit:
- Addresses the importance of integrating family engagement with each district’s student learning goals
- Includes an explicit commitment to equity in every phase of family engagement
- Uses the dual capacity-building framework in planning and implementation of family engagement
- Focuses on the role of the district and the district coordinator in leading a process of continuous improvement at schools across the district